Top 10 Health Benefits of Eating Eggs
Eggs have been part of the human diet for thousands of years. They are a powerhouse of nutrients. Several factors make eggs suitable for everyone. Eggs are an affordable, nutrient dense food with high quality protein. For nutritionally vulnerable (poor, young, pregnant, elderly) group it is one of the best foods. Composition of eggs An egg contains about 75 % water. The rest 25 % are the other constituents such as protein, fat, vitamins and minerals. Shell is about 10 %, white is about 60 % and yolk about 30 % (1). Egg can be considered to be a low carbohydrate food or we can say it does not have any carbohydrate because it is lower than 1 %.
Top 10 health benefits of eating eggsEgg is a very popular food especially for breakfast. Egg can be incorporated into several recipes. Because of its constituent’s egg can provide us with several health benefits.
- Complete source of protein
- Easily digestible
- Low carbohydrate food
- Satiety value
- Calorific value
- Micronutrient dense
- Vitamin D
- 9. Choline
- Versatile food
Final wordEggs are a nutritious food. They are a rich source of complete, good quality protein and also supply several minerals and vitamins in a reasonable amount. But remember moderation and variety are important in a balanced diet. Four to five eggs in a week should be good enough. But if your cholesterol levels are high or you have any issues with heart talk to your doctor and decide on how many eggs to eat. Why not get nutrients from other sources too.
- Kusum, M., Verma, R.C., Renu, M., Jain, H.k. and Deepak, S. (2018) A review: Chemical composition and utilization of egg, International Journal of Chemical Studies. Vol. 6(3). http://www.chemijournal.com/archives/2018/vol6issue3/PartAT/6-3-253-345.pdf
- Soliman G. A. (2018) Dietary Cholesterol and the Lack of Evidence in Cardiovascular Disease, Nutrients. Vol. 10(6). https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6024687
- United States department of agriculture, Agriculture research service, USDA food composition data base. USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/
- Nimalaratne, C. and Wu, J. (2015) Hen Egg as an Antioxidant Food Commodity: A Review. Nutrients. Vol. 7(10). https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4632414/
- National Institutes of Health, Office of dietary supplements (2019). Choline. https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Choline-HealthProfessional/